How can I get information about a case from the internet?

You may view case information at the Marion Couty Clerk of Court Criminal Division website:

What information can the Adult Probation Department give me about a case?

The Department can provide information that is public record only.  This information can also be found at the Clerk of Court website.  Examples of public record information that can be disclosed by the Probation Department:  charge for which a person is on community control, the date the community control started, etc.  Examples of information which is not public record, therefore unable to be disclosed:  information about a probationer’s treatment attendance or drug use, a probationer’s address or phone 

What is the difference between probation (community control) and parole (post-release control)?

Probation, which is also known as community control, is a period of supervision imposed by the Court in lieu of a prison sentence.  Community control supervision at this level is the responsibility of the Marion County Adult Probation Department.  If, however, a person is sentenced to prison, upon release he or she may be placed on parole, which is also known as post-release control (PRC).  Whether a person is on PRC supervision is determined by the crime for which the person was sentenced; not all crimes carry a period of PRC upon release from prison.  PRC supervision is the responsibility of the State of Ohio Adult Parole Authority.  

As a victim of a crime, are there organizations that offer help?

Yes, there are numerous programs located throughout the State of Ohio that offer help in the recovery process after a criminal offense.  If located in or near the Marion County, Ohio area, you may contact the Victim Assistance Program at (740) 223-4290 during normal business hours. The Victim Assistance Program is a division of the Marion County Prosecutor’s Office.   

What do I do if I am a victim and owed restitution?

At the sentencing hearing, a defendant may be ordered to pay restitution to a victim if deemed appropriate by the Judge.  Restitution could be the cost of medical care, the value of a stolen item that was not recovered, the cost of a vehicle repair after an accident, the cost of therapy due to trauma from the offense, etc.  In order to achieve reparation to the victim in a timely manner, a probationer will be placed on a monthly payment plan by his or her probation officer.  When these payments are collected from the defendant the money is distributed to the identified victim(s) in the case as soon as possible.  For specific information regarding restitution on a case, please call the probation officer assigned to the case at (740) 223-4230 during normal business hours.  You may also access the Marion County Clerk of Courts website.

What should a probationer bring to a meeting with a probation officer?

If applicable, a probationer should bring in payment (cash or money order) for restitution, court costs, fine, and supervision fees in the amount previously agreed upon under the probationer’s payment plan.  Probationers may also be instructed to bring in employment pay stubs or other verification of income, and all current prescription medications in the original packaging.  Any verification documentation of counseling/treatment appointments, employment, education, community service hours worked, etc. are always important to all probation officers.     

Why am I being charged a supervision fee?

The authority for the collection of supervision fees for persons placed on community control is given to the Courts by statute in the Ohio Revised Code section 2951.021.  This code authorizes the Court to require an offender placed on probation or community control to pay a monthly supervision fee of not more than $50.  The Marion County Adult Probation Department’s supervision fee is $30 per month for each month an offender is supervised by the department.

How can payments be made toward restitution, court costs, fines and supervision fee?

The Marion County Clerk of Courts maintains all accounts related to fees owed by an offender under the jurisdiction of the Common Pleas Adult Probation Department. Payments can be made at the Marion County Common Pleas Clerk of Courts Office (100 N. Main Street, 3rd floor of the Courthouse, Ohio  43302) Monday thru Friday 8:30am – 4:30pm. Cash, Cashier’s Check and money orders are the only forms of payment accepted.  Money orders should be made payable to the Clerk of Courts and contain the case number to which the payment applies.  Voluntary Wage assignments are available.   Information on child support payments can be found by contacting the Marion County Child Enforcement Agency located at 620 Leader S., Marion, Ohio  43302 (740) 387-6688 / (740) 387-2175 fax or  

How often will a probationer have to report?

Typically, it is required that a probationer report at a minimum on a monthly basis; however, the frequency of these appointments is at the discretion of the probation officer and can fluctuate based on the offender’s risk level and compliance to the court ordered sanctions of community control. 

What does the Marion County Common Pleas Court Adult Probation Department do to help offenders with alcohol and drug problems?

The Probation Department, in conjunction with public and private providers, places individuals with substance abuse problems into alcohol and drug treatment programs at a level matched to the seriousness of the problem.  Those who fail to participate in court ordered programming may be returned to court for alternative sentences, including a jail or prison term.

What does it mean to be “on community control”?

In most cases, after an offender is found guilty of committing a crime, the court has the option of placing a defendant on community control instead of imposing a prison or jail sentence.  If placed on community control for a felony offense committed in Marion County, a person can be under the supervision of the Marion County Common Pleas Court Adult Probation Department for up to five years.  The Court orders offenders to adhere to community control sanctions which are tailored to the specific risks and needs of each person placed on community control.

What is the difference between Common Pleas Court and Municipal Court?

Marion County Common Pleas Court has jurisdiction in all criminal felony cases and in all civil cases in which the amount in controversy is more than $500.  Marion Municipal Court handles all misdemeanor criminal and traffic charges.