The 2020 dog and kennel licenses will be offered for sale beginning Sunday, December 1st online. Sales will begin Monday, December 2nd at the Marion County Auditor’s Office and at the Marion County Dog Warden’s Office. Dog owners have until January 31st to purchase licenses without penalty. Every dog, 3 months or older, is required to be licensed.
Three types of tags will be available for purchase:
- 1- year tag for $16.00
- 3- year tag for $48.00
- Permanent tag for $160.00
1 and 3 year tags are transferrable from owner to owner, but not from dog to dog. Permanent dog tags are not transferrable.
There are no refunds on any dog tag sold. All sales are final.
In addition to mailing payment along with your completed application and self addressed stamped envelope, additional methods of purchasing tags are being offered for your convenience. Dog licenses may be purchased:
- Online http://www.doglicenses.us/OH/marion/. There is a surcharge associated with online orders of $2.25 per one year license and $.50 per order that is for a third party that handles the online sales. Credit cards accepted; no debit cards. The cutoff to make an online payment without penalty is 11:59 p.m. on January 31st
- Marion County Auditor’s Office at 222 W. Center St 8:30 A.M. until 4:30 P.M. Monday-Friday. Cash and checks are accepted. A computer set up at our office for online use for credit cards. There will still be a surcharge for online purchase. Please make checks payable to the Marion County Treasurer. For questions please call us at 740-223-4020.
- Marion County Dog Warden’s Office at 2252 Richland Rd 10:00 A.M. until 6:00 P.M. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Saturday hours are 10:00 A.M. until 4:00 P.M. The Dog Warden’s Office is CLOSED on Wednesdays and Sundays. Cash and checks are accepted All kennel tags are sold at the Dog Warden’s Office. You can call the Dog Warden’s Office at 740-386-6150. 3 year and permanent dog tags are not available for purchase at the Dog Warden’s Office.
- “Going to the Dogs” are satellite stations set up in the villages. Please check the Auditor’s website calendar for villages, dates, and time. Cash or checks only will be accepted.
For your convenience, dog tag renewals are now offered online. There is a $2.25 per dog and $.50 per order surcharge collected by a third party that handles the online sales. Credit cards are accepted; no debit cards. You may renew your dog tags online beginning December 1st. Online payments will be only accepted until 11:59 p.m. on January 31st. Please click here to purchase tags online.
Licensing Your Dog
First, licensing is a state law requirement.
Second, the license attached to your dog’s collar will identify you as the owner should the dog become lost or impounded at the dog pound.
- With a license, your dog can be kept for up to 14 days.
- Without a license, your dog can be held for no more than 3 days according to state law.
- Your responsibility as a dog owner is to contact the Dog Warden’s office if your dog is missing, so the Warden can return your dog to you.
All dogs must be licensed by 3 months of age or within 30 days of taking ownership of the dog. Dog tag renewal season runs from December 1st through January 31st. Late purchase or renewal of licenses are subject to a $16.00 penalty per license.
Dog Tag Pricing
1 Year Dog Tags – $16.00
3 Year Dog Tags – $48.00
Permanent Dog Tags – $160.00